Today I thought I bring you one of my recipes from my baking blog and that is Dairy Free, Vegan Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream. One thing I missed when I discovered I was lactose intolerant is ice cream and with the warmer weather coming now its days like that you really crave some creamy tasty ice cream. After taking myself to the super markets and discovering the crazy prices for dairy free ice cream I attempted to make my own. Now I have done this in the past and failed terribly however after searching online at different recipes and techniques I know where I went wrong and so today I am happy to report I have the perfect recipe that will satisfy your dairy craving.
Now this recipe is not only dairy free but it's also vegan just make sure you pick up vegan chocolate chips which by the way are hard to get hold of, try your local health store as this will probably be your best bet. For me when I was growing up I used to love Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream and so I thought I would recreate this, now if your not a lover of mint choc chip feel free to flavour as you wish you can just use this recipe as a base and then add your own flavours, I myself am already thinking of doing raspberry ripple.
Now this recipe calls for no fancy ice cream machine just a whisk and a bit of patience and of course prep is needed which I will go onto in a moment. The ice cream itself is very creamy and as we are using coconut milk it does have a slight coconut taste so if you hate coconut I don't know if you will like this but you could try and over power it with vanilla or a stronger flavour. My top tip before I give you the recipe is to make sure you take this out of the freezer at least 30 mins before serving, its takes a good while to come back to room temperature as it freezes harder than regular ice cream. So without further a do here is the recipe.
Dairy Free, Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Ice Cream Base Recipe
3 cans of full fat coconut milk (make sure they are full fat)
150g Sugar ( caster is better)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
100g Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
1-3 tsp Peppermint Extract/ Essence
2 drops of Green Food Colouring (optional)
- Start by preparing 2 tins of coconut milk and place them in the refrigerator overnight
- Keep your two cans in the fridge while you make a condensed milk. Simply take 1 can of coconut milk and your sugar and pop into a saucepan over a gently simmer.
- Heat over a medium heat for about 10 mins, you will see the mixture turn a slightly golden colour this is normal.
- Next turn right down on the lowest setting and leave to simmer for about 25-30 mins or until it has thickened and the milk has halved in size. You want your mixture to resemble condensed milk so it needs to be thick.
- Leave to cool in the fridge and it will thicken as it cools so don't panic if your mixture isn't overly thick.
- Next take your 2 cans of coconut milk out of the fridge and turn upside down and open them upside down, remove the water that has floated to the top into a separate bowl keep this to drink or for smoothies and then scoop the thickened milk into a separate bowl.
- Mix the milk into a creamy consistency it should take about 2-3 mins to get a creamy consistency.
- Next add your vanilla extract and give another little mix.
- Now take your condensed milk and pop in and give another quick mix and make sure everything is combined. Your mixture should now look like thick cream or regular ice cream that is melting.
- Now add your peppermint, food colouring and chocolate and give one last mix, then pop into a container place the lid on and freeze overnight. It might be ready in 6 hours but I left mine overnight.
- Once ready to eat take out and leave for 30 mins until it's soft enough to scoop and enjoy.
So there you have it super easy dairy free ice cream recipe and all without a ice cream machine and the flavours are endless. Let me know if you make this and be sure to #thequaycakery on instagram